11.05.2010

Politeness as a Theory of Relationship Development

Here is a brief and very preliminary discussion of what politeness as a theory of relationship development might look like:

Among the theories of interpersonal relationship development are such well known entries as social exchange theory, social penetration, rules theory, uncertainty reduction, equity, and a variety of others. Politeness theory needs to be added to this list. It would go something like this:

Two people develop a relationship when each respects, contributes to, and acknowledges the positive and negative face needs of the other and it deteriorates when they don'
t.

"Positive face" is the need to be thought of highly, to be valued, to be esteemed. In more communication terms, respect for positive face entails the exchange of compliments, praise, and general positivity. "Negative face" is the need to be autonomous, to be in control of one's own behavior, to not be obligated to do something. In more communication terms, respect for negative face entails the exchange of permission requests (rather than demands), messages indicating that a person's time is valuable and respected, and few if any imposed obligations. It would also entail providing the other person an easy "way out" when a request is made.

Relationships develop when these needs are met. Relationships will be maintained when the rules of politeness are maintained. And relationships will deteriorate when the rules of politeness are bent, violated too often, or ignored completely. Relationship repair will be effected by a process of reinstituting the rules of politeness. Politeness, of course, is not the entire story; it's just a piece. It won't explain all the reasons for relationship development or deterioration but it explains a part of the processes. It won't explain, for example, why so many people stay in abusive and unsatisfying relationships. It's major weakness seems to be that politeness needs for specific individuals are difficult to identify--what is politeness to one person, may be perceived as rude or insensitive to another.

And, perhaps not surprisingly, politeness seems to be relaxed as the relationship becomes more intimate. As the relationship becomes more intimate and long-lasting, there is greater relationship license to violate the normal rules of politeness. This may well be a mistake, at least in certain relationships. Our needs for positive and negative face do not go away when a relationship becomes more intimate; they're still there. If the definitions of politeness are themselves relaxed by the individuals, then there seems little problem. There is a problem when the definitions--relaxed or original--are not shared by the individuals; when one assumes the acceptability of something generally considered impolite as o.k. while the other does not.

When people in relationships complain that they are not respected, are not valued as they used to be when they were dating, and that their relationship is not romantic, they may well be talking about politeness. And so, on the more positive side, it offers very concrete suggestions for developing, maintaining, and repairing interpersonal relationships, namely: increase politeness by contributing to the positive and negative face needs of the other person.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very good idea. I believe that social penetration theory touches on this. When you peel back layers of someone, they are more likely to withhold information if they do not feel like they are respected or will not get the same amount of respected information out of you; however, I do think this is a good proposal. Respect, especially in computer mediated websites is important. There should be a theory for people to realize that respect using respectful language, and all of the terms and general rules you laid forth could help and foster for a basis of good communication in the future.

How to Impress a Barista said...

A very interesting read!! I'm very pro-politeness and think it's sad how little people today seem to value polite behaviours. No wonder friendships and relationships are weaker than they used to be!

Unknown said...

Interesting idea. I do research on the development and promotion of gratitude in children and am currently wondering about what communication theories and research explains how a child grows beyond automatic adherence to politeness norms/scripts to include more mindful responding to benefactors in their repertoire. Clearly, empathy skills are relevant, but can you recommend other communication research?
Thanks,
Giacomo

paul white said...

After being in relationship with my wife for years, she broke up with me. I did everything within my reach to bring her back but all was in vain, I wanted her back so badly because of the love I had for her, I begged her with everything, I made promises but she refused. I explained my problem to my friend and he suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring her back , I had no choice than to try it. I messaged the spell caster, and he assured me there was no problem and that everything will be okay before three days. He cast the spell and surprisingly on the second day, my wife called me. I was so surprised, I answered the call and all she said was that she was so sorry for everything that had happened she wanted me to return to her. She also said she loved me so much. I was so happy and went to her that was how we started living together happily again. The spell casters email is :dr.okisinsolutiontemple@gmail.com , or whatsapp/call_ +2348109374702 You can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or any Other Case.1) Love Spells......2 Divorce Spells.....3 Marriage Spells......4 Binding Spell....5 Breakup Spell......6 Death spell.......7 win a court case spellContact this great man if you are having any problem for a lasting solutionthrough his whatsapp number +2348109374702 

Great Abolo said...

Words will not be enough for me to appreciate Doctor Abolo of Abolospell@gmail.com who lived in Africa, for the successful spells he have been casting for me, I have never trust any anybody, the way I trust him. This great dr was the one that saved my marriage. If you use him, I promise you will trust him too. Any spells he cast for me are 100%. I see results the same day. He also cured me from a deadly virus (HSV), a virus I known as a medical doctor that I am, it don’t have cure, he cured a patient I introduced to him to get pregnant after 15 years of marriage. He has active herbal remedies for diseases, infection and viruses. you can get him via; Email:Abolospell@gmail.com or you may decide to send him a msg on whatsapp here +27743411428. thanks doctor you are the best.